Join Gamma Phi Circus
"Throughout my 2 years in Gamma Phi Circus, I have grown immensely as an athlete, person, and a leader. Gamma Phi Circus has not only given me a space where I can fully express myself and my talents, but this organization has given me the opportunity to continue to develop my leadership skills and display strong characteristics of leadership to those around me in all areas of my life." -- Abby Carlson, Gamma Phi Circus President, 2022-2023
Requirements and Involvement
- Enrollment: Troupe members must be enrolled as a full-time student, or be a faculty or staff member at Illinois State University.
- GPA Requirement: Troupe members must maintain a minimum of 2.2 GPA on a 4 point scale.
- Troupe Dues: Payment of dues for each semester is required of all troupe members except for first year actives.
- Attendance: Troupe members must attend required practices. Tardiness and absences are reviewed by the Executive Board and Director.
- Shows: Troupe members must participate in all Annual Home Shows and circus set-up and clean-up. Members must also participate in two or more exhibitions in each academic year.
- Committees: Each troupe member must be a productive participant in at least one (1) standing committee.
Opportunities for Gamma Phi Circus Members
Gamma Phi Circus offers many leadership opportunities to its members including serving on the student led Executive Board, being appointed as an Act Captain, chairing one of our many show committees, being a mentor to incoming members, coaching Junior Gamma Phi Circus, and more! Although not all members will fill a formal leadership position, you will develop and exercise leadership skills during the course of your experience as a Gamma Phi Circus member.
As a member of Gamma Phi Circus, you will have plenty of opportunities to perform throughout the year. Every member of Gamma Phi Circus is required to be part of the Home Shows, held at Redbird Arena in April. Members are also required to participate in at least 2 exhibitions per year. Exhibitions take place at the university, at community events, fundraisers, and more. Recently Gamma Phi Circus members have performed at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Navy Pier, the Sweet Corn Circus Festival, the Effingham Chamber of Commerce Gala, and the ISU Homecoming Parade.
Gamma Phi Circus members have the benefit of registering early for classes! Priority registration is a privilege given to special student groups by the university. Priority registration is available first semester for returning members registering for Spring classes and second semester for both returning and new members registering for Summer and Fall classes.